Special Virtual Event Series Invitation
The MidAtlantic AETC is hosting a summer virtual event series focusing on the LGBTQIA+ communities. These 90 minute zoom sessions on Wednesdays in June, July, and August will explore provider self-care, trauma, stigma, HIV, and race in LGBTQIA+ communities and LGBTQIA+ identifying healthcare professionals. Other featured topics will
include HIV prevention and LGBTQIA+ competency in healthcare settings.
This event series is open to all healthcare professionals interested in gaining knowledge to improve their practice.
First event: Wednesday June 2, 2021 - LGBTQIA+ Provider Self-Care
By the end of this event, participants will be able to:
1. Identify warning signs of moral injury, and tools to develop healthy coping strategies;
2. Discuss strategies to create a culture of self-care: individually and system wide.
Recorded and archived events
- Wednesday June 9, 2021 - LGBTQIA+ Friendly Certified Healthcare Services.
- Link to archived event and recording: https://www.maaetc.org/events/view/18313
- Wednesday June 16, 2021 - Sexual Health History Taking, Sex Positive Language, and LGBTQIA+ People.
- Link to archived event and recording: https://www.maaetc.org/events/view/18314
- Wednesday June 23, 2021 - Black and Brown LGBTQIA+ Communities: Sharing Experiences and Opportunities to Improve the Healthcare Experience, A Panel Discussion.
- Link to archived event and recording: https://www.maaetc.org/events/view/18315
- Wednesday June 30, 2021 - Caring for our own - LGBTQIA+ Providers Providing Care.
- Link to archived event and recording: https://www.maaetc.org/events/view/18317
- Wednesday July 28, 2021 - Transgender People, Health, and HIV.
- Link to archived event and recording: https://www.maaetc.org/events/view/18679
- Monday August 9, 2021 - LGBTQIA+ Competency in Healthcare Settings.
- Link to archived event and recording: https://www.maaetc.org/events/view/18776
- Wednesday August 18, 2021 - LGBTQIA+ Telehealth and Digital Equity.
- Link to archived event and recording: https://www.maaetc.org/events/view/18802
- Wednesday August 25, 2021 - Black Transgender Women, Health Equity, and HIV.
- Link to archived event and recording: https://www.maaetc.org/events/view/18841
- Wednesday September 29, 2021 - Intersectional stigma and LGBTQIA+ Persons with HIV.
- Link to archived event and recording: https://www.maaetc.org/events/view/19047
Please see each event’s registration page for accreditation information. Accreditation offered and associated requirements for eligibility will vary for each event in the series.
For Additional Online Education - The National LGBTQIA+ Health Education Center
Please visit The National LGBTQIA+ Health Education Center at their website at https://www.lgbtqiahealtheducation.org/.
They provide educational programs, resources, and consultation to health care organizations with the goal of optimizing quality, cost-effective health care for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, intersex, asexual, and all sexual and gender minority LGBTQIA+ people.
10 Strategies for creating inclusive health care environments for LGBTQIA+ people: https://www.lgbtqiahealtheducation.org/publication/ten-strategies-for-creating-inclusive-health-care-environments-for-lgbtqia-people-2021/
Navigate their website to find many fantastic learning modules, publications, videos, and webinars.
Glossary of terms (English): https://www.lgbtqiahealtheducation.org/publication/lgbtqia-glossary-of-terms-for-health-care-teams/
Glossary of terms (Spanish): https://www.lgbtqiahealtheducation.org/publication/glosario-de-terminos-lgbt-para-equipos-de-atencion-a-la-salud/
Another Important Resource - Project HEALTH's TransLine - Transgender Medical Consultation Service
Visit: http://project-health.org/transline/ for more information!
TransLine a medical e-consultation service that offers health care providers up-to-date clinical information and individualized case consultation across a broad range of clinical issues pertinent to caring for transgender clients and communities. TransLine is staffed by medical providers with specialized expertise in the care of transgender individuals from around the nation who can help you provide the best possible care to your transgender patients. Responses to your clinical questions are guaranteed within two business days!
Gender Unicorn and other helpful infographics from Trans Student Educational Resources
Trans Student Educational Resources is a youth-led organization dedicated to transforming the educational environment for trans and gender nonconforming students through advocacy and empowerment. In addition to our focus on creating a more trans-friendly education system, our mission is to educate the public and teach trans activists how to be effective organizers. We believe that justice for trans and gender nonconforming youth is contingent on an intersectional framework of activism. Ending oppression is a long-term process that can only be achieved through collaborative action. Visit: https://transstudent.org/graphics/
University of California San Francisco LGBT Resource Center
The Center aims to sustain visibility and a sense of community throughout the campus and medical center. We are committed to building workplace equity, promoting student and staff leadership, and providing high quality, culturally sensitive care to our patients. For more information visit: https://lgbt.ucsf.edu/welcome-lgbt-resource-center
Related MAAETC Events:
- Tuesday June 15, 2021 - 4:00 - 5:00pm ET - Assessment of Renal Function in Transgender Patients and Patients on PrEP
- Registration and more information: https://www.maaetc.org/events/view/17950